The full medical name for diabetes is Diabetes Mellitus, There are 3 main types of diabetes: type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
1) Recent research shows that India has become the “diabetes capital” of the world. Around 40 million people are suffering from diabetes in India and its still counting rapidly by 2025 this number will increased to 70 million. If that happens, then Every fifth diabetic in the world would be an Indian.
3) About one third of all people with diabetes do not know they have the disease.
Related : Top 10 High Protein Vegetarian Foods
4) 44% of all kidney failure cases are caused by diabetes.
5) Diabetes is one of the costliest diseases: The current cost of treating diabetes and its complications on a global level is estimated as US $ 215-375 billion.
6) Between ages 35 and 64, people with diabetes have six times the risk of heart disease or stroke, compared to people without diabetes.
7) Austrian researchers found that walking downhill lowers and helps control blood sugar levels more effectively than walking uphill, while walking uphill is better at lowering cholesterol and triglycerides.
Related : 10 Health Benefits Of Meditation
8) Chinese and U.S. researchers teamed up to evaluate the dietary habits of more than 64,000 healthy, middle-aged Chinese women. After 4.5 years, they discovered that the women who ate the most legumes had a 38 percent lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. And those who regularly ate soybeans slashed their risk almost in half!
9) Research shows that 90% of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes.
10) World Diabetes Day is on November 14th every year.